Re: VNC usage

Folk,

At Sun, 8 Oct 2006 15:11:51 -0400 Roberto C. Sanchez wrote,
"For a system-wide solution you want XDMCP."

Thanks Roberto.  I've read xdm.man and get the idea
at an abstract level; but xdm is elaborate and some
advice about configuration will help.  I'll try to start
with the "reasonable configuration file" in xdm.man.

Appears that I have two steps to achieve.

* At startup, a GUI is not needed on the console of the
server.  How is xdm told to leave the command line
login on its console at startup?

* Then, for my workstation cantor connected on eth1,
the server should provide vnc according to this
command which I've been using interactively.
  vncserver -geometry 620x730 -depth 24
Workstation cantor does not run linux and has no
capability for XDMCP.  I do not see how
authentication will work; not that it is necessary
with both machines in my private office.

Thanks for any comments,    ... Peter E.

 http://carnot.yi.org/