Re: Nice GUI/CLI Password Manager for Linux

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 07:09:25AM -0800, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 04:53:54 -0500
> "Chris Howie" <cdhowie@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 25, 2008 4:41 AM, Amit Uttamchandani <atu13439@csun.edu> wrote:
> > > Hey guys,
> > >
> > > Recently moved from Mac to Debian Linux. I am looking for a nice and powerful FLOSS password manager similar to "Keychain" on Mac OS X.
> > >
> > > I preferably would want a CLI tool...so I could remote login using SSH and look at some passwords that I have forgotten.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> >
> > vim + encfs.
> >

> That actually sounds like a good solution.
>
> Looking at aptitude it says that we might need to install the kernel modules. I am using Etch. Do you know if I still need to do this?

If you just want to encrypt a file, why not just use OpenSSL?  I happen
to have an encrypted swap and have /tmp as a tmpfs so it doesn't hit
disk unless its encrypted.  So, I put the plain-text in /tmp (I also
have libpam-tmpdir so I have my own $TMP that no-one else can read), and
use OpenSSL (man enc) to encrypte and decrypte it.  Its too bad that
OpenSSL doesn't have aes built-in.

For a frequently-used file like a password list, you could have a script
that automates the copying to /tmp, decrypting (prompting for passwd),
etc.

Doug.