Re: Getting started with Xen -- Xen enabled kernel for Lenny?

Martin

Thanks for your information, you will find my reply further down.

Martin Marcher wrote:
On Thursday 24 January 2008 17:13 Ted Hilts wrote:
Martin

What is the exact kernel version you are running on both machines and
what are their CPU designations?  The problems in the past have not been
with the distribution but with various kernels. Did you compile your
systems from source or did you use pre-compiled packages?  Did you
compile the source and apply a patch for the kernels  or did you use
kernel binaries with the Xen package already compiled into the kernel
binaries?

the "xen package" isn't compiled into the kernel afaik, you still need some
userland stuff to start/stop (interface) the domUs.
Martin

Thanks for your information further down from these comments.

I did not snip out the information below my following comments as I thought the information to be useful not just to me but to others that may be aware of our dialog.

As I remember, the package as I call it consists of 2 integrated parcels of code. One parcel of code is integrated into the kernel as a patch and the other as you mentioned is like a dependent parcel for managing the operations. But definitely, the kernel is altered and has attributes the un-patched kernel does not have. So one either applies the patch or one gets a binary that has already been patched. Sounds to me you obtained a kernel binary that was pre-patched for use with Xen. There is no way the ordinary kernel can become the core of an Xen system without the patch. However, Intel hardware changes associated with the CPU chip may change that -- I simply do not know.

Also, I was talking about kernel versions higher than yours (up in the twenties where yours was 18) and 32 bit. But whether the CPU is 32 bit on 64bit machines could be a problem, I don't know. Also, the AMD was the only working CPU architecture available on Debian and I don't know why that was the case. Many people do not use AMD as their CPU architecture. Somewhere, just before etch was declared as STABLE the AMD Xen stuff failed to work properly and this condition was verified by someone (I don't have the name handy) who was doing some kind of liaison between Debian and Xen. That's why I said it did not work on Debian. This liaison person has already confirmed that and was attempting to find a way around no Debian Xen until the next stable version (which seems to be on its way or is already here). So it seems by my information the Xen Debian problem occurred on the 2.6 kernel at some point and there were many requests on the debian-user list asking why they could not get the AMD Xen stuff to work. So it will be interesting to see if things have now changed. I don't doubt your set up works and works well but I am willing to bet that the etch stable kernel version will not work for you. Maybe, with Debian 4.0 the problem has been resolved -- hope so!

I did not snip out the rest of the stuff.

Thanks -- Ted
Looking forward to this information.  Thanks, Ted

aptitude install xen-linx-image-2.6-xen-amd64

no i'm not joking, those with the hypervisor and ioemu and i was set, I had
the 2 or 3 minor updates since etch release and all of those kernels worked
fine.

the dom0 doesn't have anything apart from the official etch repos

http://packages.debian.org/etch/linux-image-2.6-xen-amd64

aptitude search ~ixen
i A linux-image-2.6-xen-amd64       - Linux kernel 2.6 image on AMD64
i A linux-image-2.6.18-5-xen-amd64  - Linux 2.6.18 image on AMD64
i   linux-image-xen-amd64           - Linux kernel image on AMD64
i A linux-modules-2.6.18-5-xen-amd6 - Linux 2.6.18 modules on AMD64
i   xen-hypervisor-3.0.3-1-amd64    - The Xen Hypervisor on AMD64
i   xen-utils-3.0.3-1               - XEN administrative tools
i A xen-utils-common                - XEN administrative tools - common
files

First Box (2 cores/1 cpu):
cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 39
model name      : AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 146
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 2009.290
cache size      : 1024 KB
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr mca cmov pat pse36
clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni
lahf_lm
bogomips        : 5024.69
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts fid vid ttp

Second Box (4 cores/2 cpus):
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 65
model name      : Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2212 HE
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 2000.070
cache size      : 1024 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 1
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 1
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr mca cmov pat pse36
clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext
3dnow pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm cr8_legacy
bogomips        : 5002.02
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts fid vid ttp tm stc

AGAIN: I didn't install any specific version i think i even
used "linux-image-xen-amd64" - it just works with etch

hth
martin