Re: cpulimit

Quoth Manu Hack:
> The fan is working (I can tell as it's very noisy when I'm running
> programs) and it's on a wood table.  Will look into the CPU throttling
> stuff later.

Throttling the CPU would have the same effect as your idea of throttling
programs not to use all available CPU cycles - except that you would have the
added benefit of longer battery life due to reduced power consumption of the
CPU.

All modern laptop CPUs support some sort of scaling. You don't even need
additional software under linux, because the functionality is right there in the
kernel. Try

lsmod | grep powersave

If it's not modprobed, add cpufreq-powersave to /etc/modules, modprobe the
module (or reboot...) and then as root do

echo "powersave" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor

And maybe put that line in some initscript so you'll end up with a throttled CPU
no matter what happens.

Aleks