Re: cpulimit

On Jan 23, 2008 8:41 AM, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 12:20:48AM -0500, Manu Hack wrote:
> > Is there any command like nice so that I can run a command with a cpu
> > limit of at most x%?  cpulimit is close to my need but it can't be
> > invoked like nice, i.e., put it before the command I want to run like
> >
> > cpulimit -l 50 some_commands
>
> Short answer: no.  You mean the app uses e.g. max 50% and if nothing
> else is running the CPU is then 50% idle?  There was a long thread on
> OpenBSD (where people discuss kernel internals) that concluded that UNIX
> has never had a scheduler that could do this.
>
> What problem are you trying to solve where you think that this is the
> answer?

The problem is that I'm using a laptop but somehow (I don't know
exactly why) recently when I run some cpu-intensive and time consuming
programs it caused the cpu too hot and an automatic shutdown is
resulted.  I want to keep the CPU usage low for those programs to
avoid the forced shutdown.

In the mean while I'm also looking for an external CPU cooler. :)

Manu