Re: cpulimit

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 12:20:48AM -0500, Manu Hack wrote:
> Is there any command like nice so that I can run a command with a cpu
> limit of at most x%?  cpulimit is close to my need but it can't be
> invoked like nice, i.e., put it before the command I want to run like
>
> cpulimit -l 50 some_commands

Short answer: no.  You mean the app uses e.g. max 50% and if nothing
else is running the CPU is then 50% idle?  There was a long thread on
OpenBSD (where people discuss kernel internals) that concluded that UNIX
has never had a scheduler that could do this.

What problem are you trying to solve where you think that this is the
answer?

Doug.