Re: List of packages in a stable i386 base install?

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 02:31:11AM -0800, SpamHog wrote:
> I am selecting a set of add-on packages
> for a small "service & rescue" install.
> I would like to know what is
> already included in the base install,
> and in general I'd like to see
> the latest version of this list of thigs.
>
> My guess is that it might not be included
> in the minimal net-install boot images
> but that it should be in a base install .iso,
> designed to be run all from CD.

Since net-install can give you a minimal base system without a network
then yes, all base debs will be there.  You could just look at the list
of debs supplied on the netinst.iso.

> I looked into the latter
> (CD1, e.g. debian-40r2-i386-CD-1.iso, right?)
> and searched online but could not find it.

If I remember correctly, the base packages are pre-packaged as a tarball
something like base-debs.tgz.  If you find that tarball and can get a
listing of of it (see man tar) then you'll know.

Doug.