broken Xorg [Was: new user question: debian on a Thinkpad T61]

Updates on the situation
I've shrunk Vista and left it as the first partition on the HD.  After
looking around, I think that my laptop does not have a recovery
partition, which is rather strange.  There is no Rescue and Recovery
ThinkVantage tool, or anything that says create recovery media at all.

I went ahead and installed Debian anyway, using the netinstall CD, and
the install process went fine (no error messages that I could see).
However, xorg fails to start upon reboot.  The xorg.conf is currently
using the nv driver.  In the end of log are the following lines:

(EE) No Devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

My graphics card is an nVidia Quadro NVS 140M, but lspci shows it as:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0429

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance,

Jimmy
--