Re: Server fails to boot after upgrade

On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 10:54:59AM +0100, Thomas Damgaard wrote:
> On Jan 19, 2008 5:14 AM, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 10:51:13PM +0100, Thomas Damgaard wrote:
> >
> > > I do not have any monitor or a keyboard, so I cannot see exactly what
> > > is happening, but I have taken the primary hard drive out and put it
> > > in an USB enclosure, so that I can mount the root filesystem of the
> > > server on my laptop.
> >
> > Why not just hook up a serial cable between the two and use the laptop
> > as a serial console for the server.  Log the output and see what's up.
> >

> I do not own a serial cable and I don't think that my Thinkpad T42 has
> a serial port.

Not having a backup-plan for getting console access (e.g. either a
monitor/keyboard or a serial cable and a USB/serial dongle) ranks up
there with not having a data backup.

At least you can build a serial cable and USB dongles aren't very
expensive.

Does the laptop have a modem?  Does the server?  Dial in.

Doug.