Re: which to use: ext3, JFS, XFS, ReiserFS? [Was: new user question: debian on a Thinkpad T61]

On Jan 18, 2008, at 4:45 PM, Jimmy Wu wrote:
On Jan 18, 2008 4:27 PM, Damon L. Chesser <damon@damtek.com> wrote:
xfs sure does copy and delete really large files faster - I do use it
for video at home.

How big do files have to be before one starts to notice the advantages
of XFS?

In my experience, delete performance differences become noticeable when you get over 1 gigabyte. ext3 (and ext2) blocks *all* writes to the filesystem during deletes, and deleting multi-gigabyte files can take several seconds. This can be problematic in, for example, video recording applications; if a recording is in progress, you'll drop frames during the delete.