Re: which to use: ext3, JFS, XFS, ReiserFS? [Was: new user question: debian on a Thinkpad T61]

On Jan 18, 2008, at 1:11 PM, Jimmy Wu wrote:
(4) ReiserFS can be flaky on a system crash.

I haven't found it to be flaky on system crashes. I have found it to be extremely unforgiving of disk corruption and IDE bus problems. I was able to recover the data with reiserfsck, but it took a very long time. When it was done I had to sort through a lot of files with no names. This can happen to other filesystems, too, but Reiser is the only filesystem I've used where it's happened to every file on the system.

Also, ReiserFS4 is not backwards compatible with ReiserFS3, making 3 a bit of an orphan. I no longer use ReiserFS for new systems because I figure 3 will eventually not be maintained, and I don't want to be forced to change whole filesystems when I do future kernel upgrades.