Re: From linux software raid to none software raid?

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 10:57:38AM +0100, Paul Csanyi wrote:
> I have installed Debian Etch with software raid 1.
>
> I am using for this two sata drives.
>
> Is it possyble to turn this system to non software raid?
>
> Doing so I wish to get the first sata drive to use with
> Debian Etch as non software raid, and to use second
> sata drive as a backup, and data drive.

Well, since its raid1, everything on disk 2 is on disk one.

Turn off the box, unplug disk 2, turn on the box.  The box will run
just fine with a degraded (one disk) raid1 array.  Remove the "failed"
disk from the array so that it isn't looking for it.

Turn off the box, plug disk2 back in, turn the box on.  The disk will
not be automatically put into the array.  I don't know where on the disk
the raid1 marker goes.  Normally, I'd say just dd if=/dev/zero the whole
drive but if its a 1T drive, that could take a while.  Don't know the
answer to this.

Doug.