Re: debian-user help idea

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 03:29:44AM -0500, Kevin Mark wrote:
> I was thinking how d-u folks like to have lots of useful facts to help
> in problem solving. Then I thought how that kind of information is
> normally sent to the BTS when a user uses 'reportbug'. So I was
> thinking if someone could redo 'reportbug' to send initial d-u help
> requests sending useful info so that us helpers dont have to ask 10
> times for basic stuff .
> Does this sound vaguely like a useful idea.

The problem is that for simple threads (ask question, get answer), they
could be put in a wiki or BTS database, but they are easily searched
with google, especially if the answer has a [SOLVED] prefex to the
subject.  Complex threads that end up answer the true question when the
origional question end up being a red herring would have to get
re-submitted to a database.  Who will maintain that?

As for any on-line wiki post a question and someone else will come along
and answer it, that is for people who have always-on internet.  Many of
us on DU do not.

Doug.