Re: DVD image download issue Opera, Konqueror, and Firefox/iceweasel

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 09:41:37AM -0000, Paul Cager wrote:
> On Tue, January 8, 2008 23:46, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 09:22:58AM -0800, joseph lockhart wrote:
> >>i've been trying to download the DVD images from
> >>
> >>http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/4.0_r2/i386/iso-dvd/
> >>

> > Hmm, that's weird. Exactly how much (in bytes) can you download before
> > the download stops? Is it consistent every time?
>
> 24% of 4.4Gb is pretty close to 1Gb. Are you sure there's not something
> preventing you creating files over 1GB (e.g. ulimit). Or could your ISP be
> blocking "large" downloads?
>
> I'm not sure I understood about the "wget" problem - would you mind
> clarifying it, please?

Have you tried:

1.	rsync from an rsync mirror?

2.	Resume the download with ftp but then "polish" the file
	with rsync from an rsync mirror to correct any difficulties?

3.	try creating a file with dd that is over 1 GB so you know that
	you can locally.

I'm on dialup and can't tie up the phone long enough for CD images (a
few days) so end up with many breaks.  I use wget with either ftp or
http and often have an MD5 failure.  For this reason, I have switched to
straight rsync whenever possible.

Once, when there was no rsync server for the image I was getting, I
downloaded three defective images and used that gnu tool (I forget the
name of the package) that used a best-two-out-of-three approach for each
block to create the correct file.

Given the error detection at each layer (modem, ppp, IP, ftp), I don't
understand why I end up with a corrupted file, but I do.

Doug.