Re: OT: dying disk - data recovery recommendations

Dominique Dumont wrote:
> "Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> writes:
>
>> Find a way to attach that drive to a functional system.  One way would
>> be to use a 2.5" portable USB enclosure.
>
> No. from my experience USB will hang if the drive hit a wrong sector.

I had inserted the disk in an enclosure and connected to the G4 (with
new hard disk and new OS X 10.4) via Firewire cable. As there was lots
of space on the new HDD, I thought why not compile ddrescue and get the
image on the G4's new hard disk straight away! So I left the G4 running
with ddrescue trying to read the old hard disk over the weekend. On
Monday, it showed 149kB of successfully transfered data along with 30MB
of erroneous data!

Just as a last ditch effort before calling some data recovery service
company, I thought why not give it a try on the Linux box (which was
able to mount it read-only, the G4 didn't even do that!). The Linux box
is reading the disk connected via USB and had finished about 9GB by the
time I left without any errors. Now the only problem is that the disk is
38GB whereas I had only 32GB free on the Linux box! Need to take my
external 500GB disk along tomorrow.

> You should:
> - attach the disk to an internal IDE (or sata) cable
> - use dd_rescue to copy the image to a file (can be long) (or
>   gddrescue)
> - fsck the copied image.
>
> Do not run fsck on a failing disk, it will make thing worse.
>
> HTH

The .img image(38GB) that ddrescue is creating, do I use fsck.hfsplus on
it or just fsck?

Thanks
KS.