Re: OT: dying disk - data recovery recommendations

"Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> writes:

> Find a way to attach that drive to a functional system.  One way would
> be to use a 2.5" portable USB enclosure.

No. from my experience USB will hang if the drive hit a wrong sector.

You should:
- attach the disk to an internal IDE (or sata) cable
- use dd_rescue to copy the image to a file (can be long) (or
  gddrescue)
- fsck the copied image.

Do not run fsck on a failing disk, it will make thing worse.

HTH

--
Dominique Dumont
"Delivering successful solutions requires giving people what they