Re: OT: dying disk - data recovery recommendations

KS:

> I have a friend's G4(PPC) which seems to have a dying disk. He had run
> the Apple disk utility and it reported and error with the IDE disk.

I am in exactly the same situation, currently. My approach is to use
dd_rescue (package name: ddrescue) to dump the disk's content and now I
am about to run testdisk on this dump to find the partition structure
and any file still intact.

Unfortunately, testdisk cannot write Mac partition tables itself, but I
plan to use parted for that, using the values found by testdisk. If it
works, I am going to run testdisk again to recover files from the
partitions. It already helped me recover a friend's friend's files from
an almost dead USB thumb drive, so I am quite optimistic that it will
help me out again.

J.
--
We are lining up to see you fall flat on your face.
[Agree]   [Disagree]