No volume in my Etch box!

On my laptop I installed x-window-system-core and gnome-core and the volume
control small icon top right on Gnome desktop looks all right.  Instead, on my
desktop PC the same icon is not active, and when I left-click it the following
message appears:

The volume control did not find any elements and/or devices to control. This means either that you don't have the right GStreamer plugins installed, or that you don't have a sound card configured.

You can remove the volume control from the panel by right-clicking the speaker icon on the panel and selecting "Remove From Panel" from the menu.

.  When I right-click, the following message appears:

Failed to start Volume Control: Failed to execute child process "gnome-volume-control" (No such file or directory)

.  Do you think that the sound card is not recognized by Etch?  I hope not.
Does anyone please have any suggestion?  I don't know what to do.

Thanks
Rodolfo