Re: A problem with package dependences

"Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> writes:

> There is a solution, although I've never added non-debian versions of
> anything.  I think I've seen the answer on the list before.  You make an
> equivs package that contains nothing but it does satisfy the
> dependancies of anything depending on whatever (e.g. emacs).
>
> You then install this equiv package with dpkg and you're good to go.

Thanks.  I tried equivs.  The idea is brilliant but the result may be
dangerous.  In this case, for example, using equivs allows to install auctex
avoiding installing first emacs21, emacs21-bin-common, emacs21-common and
emacsen-common; but then when you install auctex with apt-get you find out
(but too late) that emacsen-common was necessary.  So the system breaks down.
Then, after installing Emacs from source, I'm going to install auctex from
source as well, it's safer.

Bye
Rodolfo