Re: A problem with package dependences

On Sun, Jan 13, 2008 at 03:54:11PM +0100, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> I want to install the auctex package, and Etch won't do it before installing
> the emacs21 and related packages:
>
> emacs21 emacs21-bin-common emacs21-common emacsen-common gs-common gs-gpl
> gsfonts preview-latex-style
>
> .  Now, my problem is that I already installed a cvs version of Emacs, so I
> don't want the standard one to be installed.
>
> Is there a solution to this matter?

There is a solution, although I've never added non-debian versions of
anything.  I think I've seen the answer on the list before.  You make an
equivs package that contains nothing but it does satisfy the
dependancies of anything depending on whatever (e.g. emacs).

You then install this equiv package with dpkg and you're good to go.

Doug.