Re: Scim in sid [solved] --> General guide for SCIM under English

HI,

On Sun, Jan 13, 2008 at 10:18:50PM +0530, Sridhar M.A. wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 13, 2008 at 09:52:46PM +0530, Sridhar M.A. wrote:
>    > On Sun, Jan 13, 2008 at 09:47:26PM +0530, Sridhar M.A. wrote:
>    >    > On Sun, Jan 13, 2008 at 11:16:20PM +0900, Joel Roth wrote:
>    >    >    >
>    >    >    > My .xsession file contains the following entries to enable
>    >    >    > me to use scim for Japanese input.
>    >    >    >
>    >    >    > 	export XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
>    >    >    > 	export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
>    >    >    > 	export QT_IM_MODULE="scim"
This may lead you to library conflict issues under some unstable update
condition as describen in SCIM package.  The firefox problem mentioned
in the other thread is the one.  Following will avoid hitting this issue
with minor loss of functionality:

 GTK_IM_MODULE="xim"
 QT_IM_MODULE="xim"

>    >    >    > 	export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8
???  Why you make such complicated locale setting.

I use simple LANG=en_US.UTF-8 (defult English install). Judging from your
name, you may not be as comfortable as me to read messages in Japanese.
(I actually do not use Japanese messabge while having full capability to
use Japanese input and display.)

If it is to activate SCIM under  LANG=en_US.UTF-8, you should have
played with im-switch.

Did you read link mentioned in my im-switch package?
  http://wiki.debian.org/JapaneseEnvironmentE

Also I am updating Debian Reference.
 http://wiki.debian.org/DebianReference (Source, Home page)
 http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/index.en.html (Index)
 http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch09.en.html  (The I18N and L10N)

>    >    >    > 	#export LANG=ja_JP.utf8
>    >    >    > 	#export LC_ALL=ja_JP.utf8
>    >    >    > 	/usr/bin/scim -d &
>    >    >    >
>    >    > I had created a file /etc/X11/Xsession.d/75scim with the following
>    >    > lines:
>    >    >
>    >    > export XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
>    >    > export XIM_PROGRAM="/usr/bin/scim -d"
>    >    > export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
>    >    > export QT_IM_MODULE=scim
>    >    >
>    >    > This would start the scim whenever I logged in via gdm and so far had no
>    >    > issues with it. Plus, it is global, so every user had scim enabled by
>    >    > default :-)

Why not do this by running im-swtch from the root. Chose scim-immodule if
you insist immodule use despite warning :-)

>    >    > Doing it your way (which I see is no different) is working. Thanks for
>    >    > the tip. I have no idea why the earlier method is failing.
>    >    >
>    > Continuing on, I noticed that this works only if I am using startx from
>    > a console. When I log in via gdm, it does not :-(
>    >
> I solved this issue by creating a new session called Gnome-scim and
> everything works well now.
>
> Regards,

Good luck.

Osamu