Re: packages broken

Florian wrote:
> I am running Debian testing with 2.6.18 kernel and ALSA sound. Any fix
> for these likely to be available soon? I've been doing an update every
> day and still see these errors. Something broken in Gnome it seems
> related to the audio.

Please clarify this last point if you want help with the audio problem.

Hi Florian,

Oh sorry I meant that I noticed that most of the packages affected
were audio packages.

> > netrek:~# aptitude dist-upgrade

BTW sometimes I use "apt-get dist-upgrade" and other times I use
"aptitude dist-upgrade". Is this problematic?

>Your most pressing issue seems to be a problem with libglib2.0-0, which
>breaks the update-desktop-database tool. This means that dpkg cannot
>configure any packages that use this tool in their installation scripts.

Ah.

>Make sure that you have the correct version of libglib2.0-0 installed.
>On an up-to-date Lenny system "dpkg -l libglib2.0-0" should show version
>2.14.3-1. Most likely you will find that you have the current version
>installed, because aptitude should have tried to upgrade the package
>otherwise. However, if you do see an older version then we have to have
>a closer look at your apt configuration.

I think I've discovered another problem. In the past 1-2 months I've
noticed whenever I install a new package or query the dpkg package
database it takes an inordinately long time and sends my CPU up to
90%-100% utilization while it's working. I timed it and there's no way
it should be taking this long on my 700MHz PIII processor with very
little system load:

netrek:~# time dpkg -l|grep libglib2
ii  libglib2-ruby                                           0.16.0-10
                    Glib 2 bindings for the Ruby language
ii  libglib2-ruby1.8                                        0.16.0-10
                    Glib 2 bindings for the Ruby language
ii  libglib2.0-0                                            2.14.3-1
                    The GLib library of C routines
ii  libglib2.0-data                                         2.14.3-1
                    Common files for GLib library
ii  libglib2.0-dev                                          2.14.3-1
                    Development files for the GLib library

real	1m18.728s
user	0m2.344s
sys	0m0.236s

What could be causing this bottleneck? Did my package database grow
too big? I see libglib2.0-0 as being at the correct version 2.14.3-1.

>My guess is that you have an outdated version of libglib-2.0.so.0 in
>/usr/local/lib/ and that this non-Debian version is given precedence
>over the Debian one by the linker. (This kind of problem has popped up
>here a few times recently.) Run this command:
>
>ldd /usr/bin/update-desktop-database

netrek:~# ldd /usr/bin/update-desktop-database
	linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
	libglib-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0xb7f0c000)
	libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb7dbf000)
	libpcre.so.3 => /usr/lib/libpcre.so.3 (0xb7d99000)
	/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7fcc000)

Nope I see nothing being loaded from /usr/local/

>This might show you that update-desktop-database uses a library in
>/usr/local/lib/. In that case I would recommend to get rid of the
>non-Debian library unless you have a compelling reason to keep it.
>Afterwards it should be enough to run (as root):
>
>ldconfig
>aptitude install -f

Any other ideas? :)

>Finally, to get rid of the complaints about libwnck18, install libwnck22
>(which replaces the other package on Lenny).

I can't seem to install any new packages since when I do it tries to
configure all those broken packages.

Zach