Re: packages broken

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 16:47:03 -0500, Zach wrote:
> I am running Debian testing with 2.6.18 kernel and ALSA sound. Any fix
> for these likely to be available soon? I've been doing an update every
> day and still see these errors. Something broken in Gnome it seems
> related to the audio.

Please clarify this last point if you want help with the audio problem.

> Zach
>
> netrek:~# aptitude dist-upgrade

[...]

> The following packages are BROKEN:
>   libwnck18

[...]

>   libwnck18: Depends: libwnck-common (< 2.19) but 2.20.2-1 is to be installed.
> Resolving dependencies...
> The following actions will resolve these dependencies:
>
> Keep the following packages at their current version:
> libwnck-common [2.18.3-1 (now)]
>
> Score is 120
>
> Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] Y
> The following packages have been kept back:
>   libwnck-common
>   efax-gtk gtkfontsel kaudiocreator kdemultimedia-kio-plugins libbluetooth2
>   libcdio7 libcpufreq0 libkcddb1 liboro-java libpulse0 libsnmp-base
>   libsnmp15 mbr pmount psmisc python2.4 python2.4-minimal sitecopy sudo
>   systemtap tcputils tellico tellico-data xfm
> The following partially installed packages will be configured:
>   amarok audacity devhelp eog evince gedit totem totem-common
>   totem-gstreamer totem-mozilla totem-plugins totem-xine
> The following packages are RECOMMENDED but will NOT be installed:
>   xless
> 24 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

[...]

> Setting up amarok (1.4.8-1) ...
>
> (update-desktop-database:8709): GLib-CRITICAL **:
> g_key_file_get_string_list: assertion `group_name != NULL' failed
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/amarok.postinst: line 11:  8709 Segmentation fault
>     (core dumped) update-desktop-database -q
> dpkg: error processing amarok (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 139
> Setting up audacity (1.3.4-1) ...

[ snip: the same error when setting up a few other packages, resulting
  dependency problems ]

>  amarok
>  audacity
>  devhelp
>  eog
>  evince
>  gedit
>  totem-common
>  totem-gstreamer
>  totem-xine
>  totem-plugins
>  totem
>  totem-mozilla
>  kaudiocreator
> A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:

[ snip: recovery attempt fails; same problems are reported again ]

Your most pressing issue seems to be a problem with libglib2.0-0, which
breaks the update-desktop-database tool. This means that dpkg cannot
configure any packages that use this tool in their installation scripts.

Make sure that you have the correct version of libglib2.0-0 installed.
On an up-to-date Lenny system "dpkg -l libglib2.0-0" should show version
2.14.3-1. Most likely you will find that you have the current version
installed, because aptitude should have tried to upgrade the package
otherwise. However, if you do see an older version then we have to have
a closer look at your apt configuration.

My guess is that you have an outdated version of libglib-2.0.so.0 in
/usr/local/lib/ and that this non-Debian version is given precedence
over the Debian one by the linker. (This kind of problem has popped up
here a few times recently.) Run this command:

ldd /usr/bin/update-desktop-database

This might show you that update-desktop-database uses a library in
/usr/local/lib/. In that case I would recommend to get rid of the
non-Debian library unless you have a compelling reason to keep it.
Afterwards it should be enough to run (as root):

ldconfig
aptitude install -f

Finally, to get rid of the complaints about libwnck18, install libwnck22
(which replaces the other package on Lenny).

          Florian   |