Re: OT: Flash memory

On Sat, Jan 12, 2008 at 06:47:03AM +1000, Adrian Levi wrote:
> On 12/01/2008, David Brodbeck <brodbd@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> >
> > On Jan 11, 2008, at 11:21 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > > How do seek and rotational delays affect Flash RAM?
> >
> > If you spin around in a circle fast enough while holding the flash
> > card, all the bits slide to the outside edge where they're harder to
> > reach. ;)
>
> Yes, but if you read from the outside edge then your bit density is
> greater and therefore your theoretical maximum transfer rate is
> higher, providing that the bits don't all fly around when you stop
> spinning. This benefit would outweigh the harder to reach bits. :-)

As the sub-atomic particles that maintain the charge that represent the
bits on the outside edge are moving faster than those on the inside
edge, they will have less mass and therefore are easier to move
"uphill".  Also, they will move faster still as they move "uphill"
(orbital mechanics, twirling figure-skater, etc) and become yet less
massive.

Interestingly, as particles approach c, they loose mass, and you could
say they become "lighter" as they turn into photons....

Now all we need is the Quark drive.  Turning it on would by "up spin".
Strange.

:))

Doug.