Re: What's your tools for C++ dev?

I'm trying geany now, it's light weight and easy to use.
working on it.

cheers.

On Jan 9, 2008 7:39 PM, Micha <michf@post.tau.ac.il > wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 06:44:27 -0800
Daniel Burrows < dburrows@debian.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 10:30:57PM +0800, Michael Yang
> <michael.yxf@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> > Hi all:
> >
> > I'm starting the C++ Developer work on linux, no GUI app involved.
> >
> > Could you tell me what the tools you are working with?
> >
> > I'm trying with g++ and vim. Is there a package containing the help doc for
> > the library API, like the MSDN on Windows.
>
>   Unfortunately, programming documentation on Linux is a bit
> fragmented.  You can find quick documentation for the standard C stuff
> in manpages-dev, but that doesn't cover C++.  libstdc++6- 4.2-doc has
> some documentation for C++ stuff, but for the STL stl-manual.  Other
> library documentation tends to be either in -dev packages or in -doc
> packages with a similar name: for instance, ncurses documentation is in
> libncurses5-dev, but cwidget documentation is in libcwidget-doc.

Help for c++ is a bit of a problem. All c stuff has manpages. I usually just
use google for the references.

BTW, I find MSDN to be even worse, can't find anything useful in there (at
least it has been so since around vs6 or vs4 don't recall). Nowadays, google is
much more useful for standard c++ reference.

For the specific libraries each one has it's own doc, usually in the -doc
package sometimes only on the web, depending on the size and developer.

For IDE, if you like the modern stuff, then depending in part on your gui
library, the big options are anjuta, kdevelop and eclipse. there are also some
smaller programmer's editors such as geany and scite. gedit and mousepad will
also probably work, at least for the small stuff. For the hard core there is
vim and emacs + ctags/etags and a bunch of other addins. Steep learning curve
and AFAIK they don't do code completing, but those who know them would claim
they are much better then the newer options (which one is better is a holly war
so you probably don't want to ask ;-)

You will also probably want a debugger. gdb is the defacto linux debugger. It
is very powerful, but text based so the learning curve is high. There are
numerous gui interfaces. Besides plugins for your favorite ide, two notable
ones are ddd and insight.