Re: Absolutely cannot write to USB drive

On 09/01/2008, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> GNOME and KDE are *supposed* to do this for you.

That is what I would like. I use KDE.

> If he uses GNOME, does OP have gnome-mount and gnome-volume-manager
> installed?

What is the KDE equivilent? Note that when I insert a CD, the "what to
do" dialog _does_ pop up. Just not with this USB disk-on-key (I
haven't checked others).

> > This last could be an issue, though, since you must have stopped access
> > with all programs before autofs will do the umount.
>
> Definitely.  Especially when copying an important doc to a thumb
> drive, and it's only 1/2 copied when you tank it out.
>
> Besides, explicitly unmounting devices is a good habit to get into,
> and I know for a fact that even Linux novices can easily be trained
> to do it.

I always unmount devices before pulling them out. On linux, I even run
sync in a terminal before disconnecting.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il