Re: startx from terminal or telnet

hagit wrote:
Hi,
I have a very strange phenomenon.
I connect to my box with telnet,

SSH is generally preferred to telnet nowadays for security reasons.

 change to super user (root) and run

It's generally recommended to not run X as root. (It's generally not recommended to run anything as root unless necessary.)

'startx'.
Then, if I don't run anything else from my telnet window (the same
window I run the 'startx' from) everything goes fine. The X starts and
I can work normally.

I'm unsure how you can do this. Running "startx" should leave the command prompt inaccessible for running the next command. Now if you'd said you were running "startx &", then it would have made more sense to me.

BUT - If I run any command (even a simple 'ls') from my telnet window,
the X doesnt run properly:

What I understand you to be saying is that you telnet in, switch to root, run X via "startx", and then still at the command prompt which is inexplicably still available, you run "ls" which then causes X to start misbehaving.

I really suspect I'm not quite understanding the sequence of events.

--
Kent