startx from terminal or telnet

Hi,
I have a very strange phenomenon.
I connect to my box with telnet, change to super user (root) and run
'startx'.
Then, if I don't run anything else from my telnet window (the same
window I run the 'startx' from) everything goes fine. The X starts and
I can work normally.
BUT - If I run any command (even a simple 'ls') from my telnet window,
the X doesnt run properly:
- running gnome-terminal takes a lot of time and sometimes doesnt even
run
- cant open web-browser
- when I run heavy commands on the telnet session (like big 'cp') the
X doesnt run at all (cant get a full desktop).

Did it happened to someone?
Is it something with my hardware?
Why is this happening?

I would love to hear any comments.

Thanks,
hagit

PS - same happened when I run 'startx' from terminal on another PC