Re: ethernet card not found during etch-installation

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 22:15:37 +0100, Carsten Fortmann wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 08:32:40PM +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 11:11:16 +0100, Carsten Fortmann wrote:
> > > Dear All,
> > > I tried to install debian 4.0 rc2 on a dell xps m1330 notebook.
> > > When the install script scans for the network device
> > >  I get an error
> > > message, saying that no ethernet device is found, only a firewire device
> > > and asks me weather i want to use this.
> > > i say no and now comes a list with lots of ethernet drivers, i choose
> > > tg3, bcause my ethernet card is a Broadcom (C) NetLink BCM5906M
> > > fast ethernet PCIExpress (rev 02) (that's what i get from lspci | grep
> > > Broadcom in my already installed ubuntu).
> > > however, this does not help, i'm allways redirected to the screen that
> > > tells me, that no ethernet card is found.
> > > i go to the shell then and
> > > ~ # lspci | grep Broadcom
> > >  and voila,
> > >
> > > 09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corp. Unknown device 1713 (rev 02).
> > >
> > > Why is the card not recognized correcly?
> >
> > It seems that support for the 5906 series was added to the tg3 driver on
> > 2006-09-27 [1]. Etch ships with the 2.6.18 kernel, which was released a
> > few days before that date [2]. My guess is that you will need a newer
> > kernel or at least a newer version of the driver.

[...]

> Hi Florian,
> thank you for your response.
> Anyway, this was not the solution. I downloaded the image with kernel
> 2.6.21 from
> http://mirror.home-dn.net/d-i/2.6.21/etch-custom-0720.iso
>
> Now, coming to the nic part to the installation, I was presented two
> ethernet cards to chose from.
> eth0 Ricoh unknown device  (did not know that i have one ...)
> and
> eth1 Broadcom unknown device 1713
>
> I tried to configure both of them manually and also specified the dns
> server. usually, install then get's the correct hostname via dns. not in
> this case. so i guess, the correct drivers are still missing.
> Maybe I'll try the 2.6.23 kernel tomorrow, just to find out.

Do you see any messages related to the tg3 driver in the syslog or the
dmesg output? Can you "modprobe -v tg3"?

It seems that Kenshi's images have the old usr/share/misc/pci.ids, which
might explain why it is still referred to as "unknown device 1713".
However, this should not keep the 2.6.23 version of the tg3 driver from
recognizing the card since it has its own list of PCI-IDs.

I am starting to suspect that your problem might be caused by missing
firmware. AFAIK, all binary firmware blobs were recently removed from
the version of tg3.c that is distributed by Debian. (The kernel.org
version of tg3.c has about 850 additional lines, mostly hex chunks.)

          Florian   |