Re: ethernet card not found during etch-installation

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 11:11:16 +0100, Carsten Fortmann wrote:
> Dear All,
> I tried to install debian 4.0 rc2 on a dell xps m1330 notebook.
> When the install script scans for the network device
>  I get an error
> message, saying that no ethernet device is found, only a firewire device
> and asks me weather i want to use this.
> i say no and now comes a list with lots of ethernet drivers, i choose
> tg3, bcause my ethernet card is a Broadcom (C) NetLink BCM5906M
> fast ethernet PCIExpress (rev 02) (that's what i get from lspci | grep
> Broadcom in my already installed ubuntu).
> however, this does not help, i'm allways redirected to the screen that
> tells me, that no ethernet card is found.
> i go to the shell then and
> ~ # lspci | grep Broadcom
>  and voila,
>
> 09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corp. Unknown device 1713 (rev 02).
>
> Why is the card not recognized correcly?

It seems that support for the 5906 series was added to the tg3 driver on
2006-09-27 [1]. Etch ships with the 2.6.18 kernel, which was released a
few days before that date [2]. My guess is that you will need a newer
kernel or at least a newer version of the driver.

[1] http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.23.y.git;a=commit;h=b5d3772ccbe0bc5ac8ffbb5356b74ca698aee28c
[2] http://kerneltrap.org/node/7144

> Can someone help or redirect me?

You could try to use Kenshi Muto's custom Etch installer images; they
come with newer kernels:

http://mirror.home-dn.net/d-i/

          Florian   |