Re: tapes best for backup?

On Jan 5, 2008, at 12:42 AM, David Brodbeck wrote:

I can't say I've ever had a CD-R that was stored in a cool, dark place and handled gently fail.

I got curious. So I pulled a couple of CD-Rs from 1997 out of the desk drawer they've been sitting in for the last 9+ years. They were stored in jewel cases, not in paper sleeves, incase that matters.

I read every file on both of them with never so much as a head re- calibration.

Two snowflakes do not a blizzard make, I understand. But my respect for optical media as archival storage has just taken a small step upwards.

As a registered pack-rat, I've got a drawer full of similar old CD- Rs. If I get ambitious and I've got some free time, I'll try a bunch more, just for fun...

Rick

PS: It took me over a half-hour each to write those CD-Rs, 9 years ago. I read both of them today in under 8 minutes total. Ahhh, progress!