Re: tapes best for backup?

On 01/04/08 20:30, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 09:12:19AM -0800, David Brodbeck wrote:
On Jan 4, 2008, at 7:38 AM, Larry Irwin wrote:
I would not buy a used tape drive. They're finicky mechanical devices and you really want a warranty. Every time I've bought a used tape drive thinking I was getting a good deal it's died within a month.

Which puts DLTs out of reach for the home user.  Which means that either
I archive to less reliable media (CD/DVD, hard disk) or keep everything
online and only do backups with no archives.

Glossary:
backup: copy everything from the main computer and leave all data on the
	main computer.

archive: copy data important for long-term use (e.g. financial records,
family pictures or videos) and possibly remove them from the main
computer.

Sure. Newegg has 400GB drives for 5.7GB/$ and enclosures are small enough to fit in your laptop bag.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian
because I hate vegetables!"
unknown