Re: tapes best for backup?

On Jan 4, 2008, at 7:38 AM, Larry Irwin wrote:

I've heard about issues with DLT's but never experienced any problems with them.

I thought DLT was OK when I was using it. It was certainly better than the DDS/DAT drives it replaced -- those had to be cleaned every other day, whereas the DLT drives only signaled for cleaning a couple times a year. I had occasional load/unload reliability problems but I think they were due to bad drive design on the unit I had, not any inherent problem with the tape. (It was an Overland tape library, but the real culprit seemed to be the Benchmark DLT1 drive inside.)

The main thing about DLT tapes is don't drop them. Treat them with the kind of care you would hard disks. If you drop them the spindle will get knocked out of position and they will likely jam the next time they're loaded.

I would not buy a used tape drive. They're finicky mechanical devices and you really want a warranty. Every time I've bought a used tape drive thinking I was getting a good deal it's died within a month.