Re: "Waiting for root file system" problem

Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 06:04:18AM -0500, dave N wrote:

> I booted with Knoppix live and there is nothing in /var/log/messages, none of the logs appear to have changed since I last booted 2 days ago. I have not run fsck or anything else on this yet.
>
> Ideas?

This is usually a root device misnaming (is this a word?). Try setting
up your fstab/menu.lst by uuid or labels.

(If you have no idea what I'm talking about then I totally misjudged
your knowledge level. Please report back with any questions you might
have).

Regards,
Andrei

Thanks, I'll try this a little later using lables or devices (/dev/sda2)

I didn't know there were uuid's for devices, how do I find that for a partition?