Re: install etch from usb onto xp machine

Thank you all.

I stumbled on the correct sequence. After I did install-mbr first, and
THEN zcat the boot.img.gz to the usb it booted from the CD.  The way
it's laid out in the installation guide, it looks like you can install
the boot image files and then if it doesn't boot, fix it by doing
install-mbr. This did NOT work. However, the reverse did work.

I have a laptop running Etch hooked up, but as someone correctly
guessed I do NOT have admin rights on the XP desktop machine.

So far, it's installing smoothly. I did guided partitioning and took
the whole hard disk they installed for me and put home on a separate
partition.

THANK YOU.

I've got to try that goodbye microsoft link next time. Looks
interesting.

Rick