install etch from usb onto xp machine

Anybody recently installed to an xp machine with no CD drive?

I followed the "easy way" instructions for copying the necessary Etch
installation files to a USB, but the XP machine would not "see" the
USB drive.

Then I followed the "install-mbr" instructions to make the usb
bootable. But that appears to wipe out the installation files?  All
the XP machine did was print "MBR" and sit there.

I can't really log into the XP machine, the tech fellows just
installed a separate hard drive and said I could put Debian on it.
Getting it on there is up to me :)

Any easy way to make the XP machine see the usb drive, boot from it,
and do an install?

Thanks for any help.

Rick