Re: cannot log in with gdm after lenny upgrade

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 12:58:22AM +0000, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> was heard to say:
> On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:49:43 -0800, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 03:58:03AM +0000, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> was heard to say:
> >> /etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session startup ...
> >> Setting 1M through im-switch for locale=en_CA
> >> Start IM through /farhome/hendrik/.xinput.d/en_CA linked to /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/uim_toolbar.
> >> failed in listen():  INvalid argument
> >> mkdtemp: private socket dir: Permission denied
> >
> >   That almost sounds like you don't have write permission to $TMPDIR.
> > Do you have any configuration that changes the value of $TMPDIR?  (if
> > you don't know about it you probably don't)  What do the following
> > commands output?
> >
> > ls -dl /tmp
> > echo $TMPDIR

  [snip -- glad to hear it worked for you]

> Thanks.  How did you ever manage to think of this?

  The main thing for me was to ignore all those messages about suid GTK+
programs; since the log continues past those messages, it's a good
(although not certain) bet that they're unrelated to the problem.  Once
I read past them I saw the failures above (listen and mkdtemp),
which sound like a program trying to create a listen socket in /tmp and
failing.

  In particular, there's no other obvious reason for mkdtemp to fail
with "permission denied"; even "nobody" can write to /tmp on a default
Debian system.  As Andrew said, that message is a pretty big clue, once
you've waded through all the other chatter in the log.

  Daniel