Re: Galeon R.I.P?

Hal Vaughan wrote:
I think eventually we'll see more open source than closed source, but over the past 25 years or so, it seems the innovations have been made in closed source, then emulated in open source. There are advantages to different business models.

The first IBM mainframes back in the 1960s arrived with free open source software and a license that said you could not redistribute the software or move it to a different brand of computer. Lots of people contributed improvements to the software because they did not see programming as producing valuable intellectual property. Software can be free, open, and collaborative but still restricted.

The American government eventually sued IBM over some anti trust issue. IBM dropped their hardware prices and started charging for the open source software. The total bill was the same. Lots of people demanded better software out of the box because they were now paying for the software. Most people stopped contributing and started thinking about how they could develop their ideas as separate add on products they could sell. Neither the BSD or GPL licence stop you selling add on products.

IBM eventually stopped distributing the software in source code because so many people made changes without contributing the changes back to the developers. Those changes made support too expensive and IBM removed the source code to prevent all those little tweaks. Source code can create problems. Open source can lead to sloppy code development if you expect other people to detect and fix all the problems for you.

Unix arrived with an open source model and promptly exploded into more variations than there were computers. Linux had to go through the hassle of stopping the base system exploding into a million versions and is now trying to unify the main variations. The Apache model of a stable base and lots of plug in modules is the best approach. The plug in modules do not have to be free.

I like open source software because I can see what it is doing and ensure the software is secure. Australia has data privacy laws that cannot be met by closed source software. The software has to be open but does not have to be free.

You can use an application for months before you find a major problem, which is too late to recover your data if the data is locked in a proprietary data store. I look for software that uses a free open database I can access with other tools if the application fails. The application does not have to be free but I must be able to keep the data and access the data if I stop using the application.

You could sell me an expensive application if you used MySQL or PostgreSQL to store the data and provide a way to control, log, and audit everything that your application puts on or accepts off the network.

I like the software model where people offer free open products for beginners and amateurs then offer a commercial version for professionals who use the product to make money. MySQL has a free version that I use to develop most projects and a commercial cluster version I recommend for large corporate projects.

One of the examples mentioned in an earlier post was a client server application. If I was looking at that application, I would demand the client be open so I can see exactly what data is sent to the server and I would demand a daily backup of my data from the server in an open form where I can access the data without proprietary tools, a form suitable for into to alternative software.

Free access to my data is more important than free software. MYOB costs a trivial amount of money but I threw it out because they refused to switch to an open database or provide an open SQL interface. I would have paid ten times the cost of MYOB for a good open alternative.

Peter Moulding

Helping you help your customers

Web:       PeterMoulding.com

Speaker:          Translate Geek speak to business language.
                  Entertain and educate your customers
                  and staff with a Web site roast.
                  Strategic technology direction for your board.
                  "impressed by his knowledge of the subject"
                  "business-oriented"
Author:           2 books 5 languages in 80 countries.
                  Ghost writer for your articles and speeches.
                  Mentor for your next book.
                  "exceptional" "the greatest" "amazing"
Trainer:          Now in Australia, the workshops enjoyed in America
                  and Europe.
Web Architect:    Increase sales.
                  Retain customers.
                  Decrease costs.