Re: Galeon R.I.P?

On Wednesday 02 January 2008, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > I can control my system, I can't control my clients' computers, so
> > I want a minimum of possible errors on their computers.
> >
> > I would not want to make it easy for someone to grab my code and
> > compete.  Maybe later, but I'm still within a year of finishing all
> > the development work.
>
> I can understand. And, as I said, I am not attempting to discuss your
> particular usage. Just the idea of open vs. closed source in general
> and the economic arguments in favor of clsoed source. And frankly,
> I'm not sure where I stand in a situation like yours. Likely in a
> similar position.

I've considered this situation many times over.  All the tools I use are
open source.  I avoid closed source programs whenever possible and have
been quite keen to build my business on a grounds that I consider
ethical and moral.

My first post on this thread was in response to someone making what I
consider a quite foolish statement that, essentially, closed source
software was unethical.  I know some people respect (such as RMS) say
that, but I also think it's a statement that's more easily made by
people who get nice tidy paychecks and aren't the ones who have to
figure out how to do the marketing.

If I write a program, a story, a song, a script, or anything else, or if
I create a song or movie or any other IP work, I made it.  Just as if I
put the effort into making a chair or a car or anything else.  It's up
to me to decide what I do with it and how I'll find a way to get
rewarded for my work.  If I want to sell it as closed source software,
I have every right to do it.  If someone doesn't like it, then they
don't have to buy it or deal with it.

On the flip side, I do contribute to FOSS projects and hope, when this
work is done, that any programming I do later will all be FOSS, but for
now, I have the task of earning a living to deal with as well.

> > It would level the playing field if everyone were on the same
> > field. They're not.
>
> true.

I think eventually we'll see more open source than closed source, but
over the past 25 years or so, it seems the innovations have been made
in closed source, then emulated in open source.  There are advantages
to different business models.

Hal