Re: Recommended MPLAYER config for old computers

Amit Uttamchandani <atu13439@csun.edu> wrote:

>> What happens if you run cdck to check the quality of the DVD?

>I installed cdck from the deb repo and ran it. A lot of errors. There are a lot:

>! unable to read sector 195007, reason: Input/output error
>! unable to read sector 195008, reason: Input/output error
>! unable to read sector 195009, reason: Input/output error
>! unable to read sector 195010, reason: Input/output error
>! unable to read sector 195203, reason: Input/output error
>! unable to read sector 195204, reason: Input/output error
>! unable to read sector 195205, reason: Input/output error

This may be because of new forms of copy protection they are adding to
DVDs. A DVD player navigates through the disc based on the structures
in the VOB files, so it can be told to skip blocks on the disc.  If you
try to read the disc as a UDF filesystem, you'll hit the blocks that
the VOB navigation skips.

The copy protection works by making those blocks bad so you cannot do a
block by block copy of the disc.

>> Can you turn the DVD into an iso or something file and play from hard
>> disk?

>How do I do this? mkisofs? Or can I use mencode or dvdbackup? What do you recommend?

If you get a recent version of vobcopy (http://vobcopy.org/), it should
be able to make a copy of the disc which can then be played off the HDD.