Recommended MPLAYER config for old computers

Hey guys,

Trying to use mplayer to watch DVDs but it is quite slow. A lot of artifacts and buffering. Quite unwatchable. I have been tweaking a few settings here and there but I thought I'd ask from more experience users out there.

A few settings that I am using now,

 * -vo xv
 * -cache 8192

This is on a old PowerBook G4 500MHz PPC w/512MB RAM. I would think this should be fast enough to watch DVDs? Also, I am not running any other major applications in the background.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

--
Amit Uttamchandani <atu13439@csun.edu>