Re: FLOSS support for signed PDFs

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 04:18:13PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 11:13:12 -0700
> Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 12:45:58PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> > >
> > > Oddly enough, when I try to download PDFs from the institution's site,
> > > the plugin doesn't pick them up, although IW recognizes them as "PDF
> > > documents", and "about:plugins" shows Acrobat as being installed.  [IW
> > > only offers to open the PDFs with the default app (Evince) or to save
> > > them to disk].
> > >
> > > pdfinfo gives:

> > they're not encrypted, so can you open them with evince/xpdf?  I'm not
>
> Yes.
>
> > sure what the problem is, I thought you were just trying to cross the
> > hurdle of getting them to allow d/l. Or do you need to confirm the
> > signatures?
>
> The main hurdle was indeed getting it to just give me the PDFs, but if
> they are indeed signed, I'd certainly like to be able to verify
> the signatures, and I'm also just curious now as to why the plugin isn't
> being called for these PDFs as it is for others.

with the binary in another location, maybe the plugin is failing and
control passes on to another mechanism within iceweasel. Try running
iceweasel from the command line (or check ~/.xsession-errors) to see
if anything pertinent shows up. also, I don't know how iceweasel
handles these things, but if there is a mime entry for .pdf that
points to evince, maybe those get called before the plugins? heck,
maybe the pluginb just doesn't work, too...