Re: FLOSS support for signed PDFs

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 12:49:13 -0500
John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> wrote:

> I wrote:
> > How are they doing this detection [of Acroread]?
>
> Celejar writes:
> > I don't know.
>
> I suggest you concentrate your efforts on finding out (and publish your
> results, of course).  Once you can spoof their detection method you can get
> them to send you the files which you should be able to read despite the
> signature.  Verifying the signature can come later.

I installed the linux tarball (as a non-priveleged user, and to a
non-standard location under $HOME, to minimize pollution), and dropped
the plugin (nppdf.so) into $HOME/.mozilla/plugins (I'm using IW), which
was enough for the website to accept my system as having Acrobat
installed.  I assume it was the plugin that did it, since I doubt there
were any heuristics that could have found the files I installed under
$HOME/some_location.

Oddly enough, when I try to download PDFs from the institution's site,
the plugin doesn't pick them up, although IW recognizes them as "PDF
documents", and "about:plugins" shows Acrobat as being installed.  [IW
only offers to open the PDFs with the default app (Evince) or to save
them to disk].

pdfinfo gives:

> Producer:       iText by lowagie.com (r1.02b;p128)
> CreationDate:   Tue Oct  2 11:39:33 2007
> ModDate:        Tue Oct  2 11:39:33 2007
> Tagged:         no
> Pages:          4
> Encrypted:      no
> Page size:      612 x 792 pts (letter)
> File size:      774826 bytes
> Optimized:      no
> PDF version:    1.4

I haven't yet tried to open a downloaded PDF in Acrobat since I'm
reluctant to agree to the EULA.

> John Hasler

Celejar