Re: mutt question

On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 05:06:16PM +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 09:09:30PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 10:57:31AM +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> > >
> > > What is the contents of your /etc/email-addresses file?
> >
> > I am currently using
> >
> > local_sender_retain = true
> > local_from_check = false
> > trusted_users = andrew
> >
> > in my exim4.conf to allow my from headers to remain unchanged in
> > exim4. would /etc/email-addresses make this unnecessary?
>
> Umm, you could try it. Honestly I don't know. But since you are using
> multiple from addresses, which admittedly I never thought about, then
> maybe you have to do it your way?

I think that is the case. Otherwise you'd have to build up some
rewriting rules in exim that looks for some other indication of whot
he "from" is and I just don't think that's really the MTA's job. I
view the MTA as something similar to the USPS. I (the MUA) drop a
letter in the mailbox and the USPS (MTA) does what the envelope
says. period. (barring special circumstances like address
changes...). The USPS doesn't go around rewriting return addresses and
so forth and neither should the MTA (IMVHO).

> With folder hooks?

yup.

> > This is the part that I think is a problem. I use different email
> > addresses for different purposes and mutt automatically sets the
> > appropriate from address for me depending on the mail box I'm in. So,
> > would I spec more than one relationship in /etc/email-addresses? I
> > would love to get my local machine's exim4.conf down to a more stock
> > configuration.
>
> > how does the MTA know what from address, among many, you want?
>
> Would having more than one from address be considered an advanced usage
> in so far as configuration is concerned and hence therefore in this case
> you *can* set the from address in the MUA. But if you only have one from
> address *then* you should not need to mess around with settings in your
> MUA because of a misconfigured MTA, but of course if you do not have
> access to MTA configuration then you have to, as a work around.

I think of it this way. the "From" is the responsibility of the sender
of the mail. The sender of snail mail puts a return address on then
envelope. same thing with email. Regardless of the MUA you use, the
same thing happens. if you use mutt, or mail or some other client that
talks directly with your local MTA by default, then you get exposed to
the inner workings a bit more than the typical T-bird user who follows
the wizard, but regardless From gets set at the mUA level. using
T-bird, you typically bypass the local MTA and talk to an MTA further
upstream, but the model is the same.

I think we're beating a horse here, so i'll drop it.