Re: mutt question

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 09:09:30PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 10:57:31AM +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> >
> > What is the contents of your /etc/email-addresses file?
>
> I am currently using
>
> local_sender_retain = true
> local_from_check = false
> trusted_users = andrew
>
> in my exim4.conf to allow my from headers to remain unchanged in
> exim4. would /etc/email-addresses make this unnecessary?

Umm, you could try it. Honestly I don't know. But since you are using
multiple from addresses, which admittedly I never thought about, then
maybe you have to do it your way?

> > > (2) The address in the From: line of an outgoing message may be set to
> > > any address you wish, irrespective of the setting in Exim4; and this
> > > may be changed from one message to the next.  Moreover, Mutt can be
> > > configured to automatically change both the address in the From: line
> > > and the signature.

With folder hooks?

> This is the part that I think is a problem. I use different email
> addresses for different purposes and mutt automatically sets the
> appropriate from address for me depending on the mail box I'm in. So,
> would I spec more than one relationship in /etc/email-addresses? I
> would love to get my local machine's exim4.conf down to a more stock
> configuration.

> how does the MTA know what from address, among many, you want?

Would having more than one from address be considered an advanced usage
in so far as configuration is concerned and hence therefore in this case
you *can* set the from address in the MUA. But if you only have one from
address *then* you should not need to mess around with settings in your
MUA because of a misconfigured MTA, but of course if you do not have
access to MTA configuration then you have to, as a work around.

I wonder where the canonical answers to these questions lie, RFC's?

:-)

--
Chris.
======