Re: Strange reaction to keyboard at first login

* Chris Bannister (mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz) wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 09:21:36AM -0500, cothrige wrote:
>
> Is this a stock Debian kernel or a self compiled one?
> Is this from the CLI or from a GUI? (i.e x or no x)

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I am running a 2.6.20.12 kernel
that I compiled myself.  And it is a problem that has only existed on
this kernel, so far.

> It seems like the kernel module for the keyboard isn't being loaded at
> boot but on demand - and even then, not loading cleanly for some reason.

My keyboard is a very standard PS/2.  Which module needs to load for
that?  I don't remember any odd configurations for the keyboard when I
compiled, but I will go back and look through the config again just to
see if I am overlooking something.

> Is there anything slightly sus in the syslog boot messages?

Well, not that I can see.  But, I will admit that I am likely
overlooking something.  The complaint, "input: AT Translated Set 2
keyboard as /class/input/input4", is in /var/log/messages.  Earlier in
the same file there are more of the same, but instead of
/class/input/input4 they say /class/input/input0.  I don't remember if
that ever came up on screen, but I only remember the input4 quite
recently, and I think these older ones predate my current kernel and
the problem I am dealing with right now.

Patrick