Files used when a terminal window opens

   After logging in on a gnome window, I often go to "Accessories"
and "root terminal".  I have several shell variable setting and
some other small tasks at the beginning.  When I first set the
system up, I had a file that did these things for me.  However,
I want to change a few things and I've forgotten what file is supposed
to be  edited.

   I've tried /etc/.profile and /root/.bashrc, among other things,
but I'm still getting the same behavior as before.