Re: video news site

On Sunday 03 June 2007 18:20, Mark Grieveson wrote:
> > > Hello.  I cannot get the following video news site working:
> > > <http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/Page/document/video/vs?id=RTGAM
> > >.200 70531.wvclipoftheweek0529>
> > >
> > > I use Etch, with epiphany.  I have w32codecs, mplayer, and
> > > mozplugger installed.  Epiphany has both javascript and java
> > > enabled.  Can anyone else view videos here, or is this site a lost
> > > cause for Linux computers?
> > >
> > > Mark
> >
> > I've just tried the site on FC2, and I've got the mplayerplug-in
> > installed. That is the mozilla-mplayer package in Etch. I'm on dialup,
> > so never expect much, but am getting snippets of audio from the site.
> > It says it's using windows media for it's streams.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> I tried the mozilla-mplayer package, and it still did not work.
> Perhaps there's a difference between the mplayerplug-in and the
> mozilla-mplayer packages.
>
> Mark

There should be no difference. They are just named differently.

What do you see in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, since you installed the
mozilla-mplayer package. You should see a bunch of plugins, as below.

mplayerplug-in-dvx.so , and .xpt
mplayerplug-in-qt.so , and .xpt
mplayerplug-in-rm.so , and .xpt   ( you can change the name of these ones if
you already have the realplayer plugin installed, otherwise you might get
conflicts)
mplayerplug-in-wmp.so , and .xpt
mplayerplug-in-.so , and .xpt

I'm not using Epiphany, but it might be worth installing Firefox/Iceweasel,
and trying that, just to see if you can access the site, and receive some
streams. My dialup connection gives me snippets of audio, so the stream seems
to be running, but I just don't have enough bandwidth.

Typing about:plugins in Firefox will verify the installed plugins.

If Firefox works ok, then to find out why Epiphany isn't.

Nigel.