Re: Files used when a terminal window opens

Charles Blair <c-blair@uiuc.edu>:
>     After logging in on a gnome window, I often go to "Accessories"
>  and "root terminal".  I have several shell variable setting and
>  some other small tasks at the beginning.  When I first set the
>  system up, I had a file that did these things for me.  However,
>  I want to change a few things and I've forgotten what file is supposed
>  to be  edited.
>
>     I've tried /etc/.profile and /root/.bashrc, among other things,
>  but I'm still getting the same behavior as before.

Your login startup scripts are where you ought to be looking.
Assuming bash is your login shell, see $HOME/.bashrc,
$HOME/.bash_profile, and $HOME/.profile.  Anything in there will
override/clobber whatever's defined by /etc stuff.

As for root terminals, see the same in $HOME while logged in as root.

FYI, bare "cd" takes you $HOME.  "set" will show you what's defined.

Perhaps you ought to supply a better description of the problem.  HTH.

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling          Linux Counter #80292
       Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html