Re: Is Etch Stable is really stable?

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 03:38:37PM +0530, Deboo ^ wrote:
> On 5/31/07, Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
>
> >Assuming that your apt cache represents a significant download time then
> >it makes sense to spend some time to 1) verify their integrity, then 2)
> >assemble them into a repository-like unofficial CD that you can use
> >during the install.
> >
> >I don't know of an automated way to do this, however, I think that each
> >package in the debian repository will have its md5 sum listed in a file
> >somewhere on the same server.  You can then calculate the md5 sum of
> >each of the debs in your apt cache and verify them.  Remove any that
> >fail prior to bundling them into your own repository.
>
> Thank you Doug for you reply!
> I found an md5sums.gz under /debian/indices directory on the server.
> t's about 11 MB. It must be having md5sums for _all_ the debian
> packages, how do I extract the ones for the packages I have? Some
> shell scripting ? Any ideas?

You're almost there.  Run
	# md5sum -c /path/to/MD5SUMS >> /root/cachesums.txt

Now, /root/cachesums.txt will have the results.  Files that checked OK
will have "OK" in the line along with the file name.  Files that exist
and failed will (I think) have a FAILED (you can manually look and see
for sure), while files that did not exist will have a suitable error
message listed.

Now you can use grep on the cachesums.txt file, searching for lines that
say OK so you know what is safe to use, and searching for FAILED so you
know what are corrupted (if any).  You can ignore the not-found error
messsages.

Doug.